Monday 14 September 2015

Easy DIY Fireplace Makeover

The fireplace is the one feature in our home that I really don't like.  I often look at Instagram with fireplace envy.  When we moved in the fireplace was boarded up, we had hoped to be able to open it up but it was not to be and since then our chimney became damaged and so was removed so there is no chance of it happening now.


Our home was built just after the second world war and we are fortunate enough to still have a lot of the original features, the fireplace being one of them.  However it does mean that it is a rather unusual shape so it makes it rather difficult to style it quite how I'd like to be able to.

After spotting the idea on Pinterest I knew I had to give this little DIY makeover a go and I'm so pleased I did because I love how it looks.We had a plum tree in our garden that needed cutting down so I used one of the branches.  Cutting it into slices (by hand) quite a long process but worth the hard work I put in.


I've used a thick black cardboard as the backing, although I do think a thin wood would probably be better, I may have to stick it onto something like this in the near future, just to give it that bit of extra support to hold it all up as the weight of the logs is fairly heavy.  The bits of wood / logs I have stuck on using superglue, so far this seems to have been sufficient enough.  


From there I have literally just propped it up in front of the board to the opening of the fireplace and there you have it, my fireplace makeover.  I'm really happy with it and think that it really makes quite a difference to the overall appearance to it.  It somehow makes it feel that bit more homely and cosy.  Much better than a piece of cream painted board that's for sure.  Now I can't wait to start styling it for autumn.


~ Gem x


12 comments:

  1. A very clever idea Gemma and it certainly looks better than before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great makeover, Gem. The wood adds a lot of warmth and cosiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bronwyn, I'm really chuffed with it and yes it does make it a lot cosier x x

      Delete
  3. That idea is so simple and yet sooo effective - looks great!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It took quite a while to cut all of the pieces but I'm so pleased I stuck with it x x

      Delete
  4. I love the improvement! It's perfect for this time of year too : )

    Gemma xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gem, very cosy looking and yes, perfect for autumn x x x

      Delete
  5. Loved your idea thanks for sharing, fireplace is truly amazing. Natural wood is of course beautiful on its own, but the ends of logs is a nice spin on a traditional log pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The log pile was the effect I was going for. Of course I would rather have a real pile of logs but this is the next best thing x x

      Delete