Friday 7 August 2015

Jersey War Tunnels

We woke up on Tuesday morning during our stay in Jersey to a very grey and overcast looking sky.  The forecast wasn't looking great for the rest of the day so we decided to check out the war tunnels, also known as the underground German hospital.  


It had been recommended to us by a few people so it seemed the obvious choice of something to do.


Our late landlady was in the land army during the second world war and we used to hear so many stories from her about what life was like, so it was really interesting seeing it from another perspective.


I think we timed this quite well, going early in the morning and avoiding the mad rush meant we could wander round the tunnels at our own pace and didn;t have to contend with too many crowds.


I'll be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of museums, I find they can be quite boring.  This had been done really well though and I found it all really interesting, especially looking at all the old pieces of furniture and general home items.


I honestly can't imagine what it must have been like living during the second world war, let alone in Jersey and being invaded by the German army, it must have been so frightening.



But the relief and happiness they felt once it was over must have been such an amazing feeling, I certainly wouldn't have minded witnessing the celebrations.


It made me feel so lucky and grateful for the freedom and lifestyle I have.  It was quite a mindful start to the holiday too.

~ Gem x

4 comments:

  1. I watched a mini-series recently about the Germans on the Channel Islands. It was a very emotional time for all of the people whose lives were "occupied" by the Nazis. I can't imagine living like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all seemed so surreal wandering round, it must have been so awful for those living there. At the very beginning they were all given the choice to either stay on the island or flee to mainland, can you imagine having to make that decision of possibly leaving all of your possessions behind and starting again during such an awful time, it just doesn't bare thinking about x x x

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It was very interesting. A few years ago this would have been my idea of the most boring day out but I love seeing how people used to live, it's funny seeing some of the home furnishings coming back round into fashion again too x x x

      Delete