Thursday 5 March 2015

It's A Wrap - Gift Wrapping With Jane Means

Today I have spent my day with the wonderful Jane Means on one of her gift wrapping courses in London.


All I can say is wow, what a day it has been.  From start to finish I have loved every second of it.  I think James is beginning to consider filing for divorce because I haven't shut up about it since I've got home.



As soon as I arrived I was greeted by Jane herself and her colleague Sarah.  I was struck by how lovely, friendly and down to earth Jane was.  They both gave such a warm welcome and I instantly felt comfortable and at ease.  I'd been feeling so nervous about doing the course and meeting Jane, I've no idea why, it sounds so silly now, I really had nothing to worry about.



I learnt so much from the course, I will never wrap a present the same, ever again.  The detail and the care that goes into everything Jane wrapped was clear.  Her passion for what she does was also contagious, because right now I'm in desperate need of some gifts to wrap.  And I can't believe I'm saying this but the odder (is that even a word?) the shape the better.  I'm feeling very ambitious, ask me again after I've wrapped some weird and wonderfully shaped item, I may not be saying the same thing haha.


She makes everything look soooooo easy, but then she is a pro so I'd be worried if she didn't.  Saying that though she is a great teacher.  Everything was done step by step so it was easy to follow, she was really good at making sure everyone was at the same stage and that no one was being left behind.


We covered everything from paper, folding and embellishments, to cellophane, tissue paper and bows.  We started off with what I thought was the very basics of wrapping by wrapping a box, but it clearly goes to show that I know nothing about wrapping, because yes, I have discovered a new way of wrapping something as simple as a box.



I really don't want to give away too much in terms of instructions or detail about how each technique can be achieved, as it doesn't really seem fair on Jane.  I know she works very hard and I feel it would be wrong for me to just give away all of her secrets on here, but I will say a lot of what we covered is detailed in her book ' Giftwrapped'  I bought a copy while I was there today and would really recommend getting yourself a copy of it, even if it is just to admire all of the gorgeous pictures (they are pretty special).


She has also released a DVD 'The Art of Gift Wrapping' if it is a more watch and learn approach that you take.  Or of course you could book on to one of her courses, she offers them all over the country, details can be found on her website here.  I honestly mean it when I say that I'm so glad I've done it, my gifts will certainly benefit from what I've learnt and the lunch was pretty good too, plus there was unlimited tea and coffee :)


And for all us bloggers out there Jane also has her very own blog where she uploads tutorials on various things from tying the perfect bow to making ric rac flowers.  Take a look for yourself at www.janemeansblog.com.


I'm already looking forward to wrapping my first gift after the course.  The question is what will the gift be and who will it be for?  I promise I'll share my attempt with you once I've wrapped it and it has been received by it's recipient.



I can't thank Jane enough for such a fabulous day, I had a great time and am feeling ready for a challenge :)


Happy wrapping ladies (and gents).


~ Gem x

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great day! I'd love to do something like this (in fact I think Ian would love it too lol). I bet you can't wait for Christmas time now x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great day! I'd love to do something like this (in fact I think Ian would love it too lol). I bet you can't wait for Christmas time now x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I love the sound of this I do love wrapping gifts!

    Victoria x
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! What a perfect way to spend a day. It looks like you have practised some really interesting techniques - wrapping a circle-shaped gift looks hard but beautiful when complete! The selection of ribbon and papers were pure eye-candy, too, I see. You're a lucky girl, Gem! That's my kind of day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much and it was great meeting you!

    ReplyDelete