Sunday 31 August 2014

Visit to The Cornershop

Hello,

I'm back from an amazing day out in London today with my girl Marie, and what a fantastic day out we have had, full of exciting adventures.  I'm going to split our day out into a few posts so as not to bombard you with too much in one go.  Considering we didn't leave Chelmsford until 11:30 it feels as though we managed to get loads done, we crammed a lot into one afternoon.

The day began with a hot chocolate at the station cafe whilst we waited for our train to arrive.  It was so good being able to catch up properly, work has been really busy for us both recently and the wedding has been taking up a lot of time, so it made a change to get away from all things work and wedding related.  We were going for a more craft related day.


First stop once arriving in London was a trip to Bethnal Green to visit Lucy Sparrow's felt exhibition 'The Cornershop'.  It has been running throughout the whole of August and today was it's last day open in London.  I'd seen a lot about it on Instagram and was keen to see it for myself and I'm so glad I did.



I really can't put into words what it was like.  I can tell you, that it was like nothing I had ever seen before, it was rather quite surreal.




Lucy had done her research.  It really was just like stepping into a corner shop, except for the fact that absolutely every single product was made from felt.  She had thought of everything, even down to a charity collection tin.



I felt like a kid in a candy store, I really didn't now where to look next and can say I probably still missed things.



I kind of wish I had of been earlier in the month so I could have told you all about it and given you a chance to check it out for yourselves.  It really is one of those things that you have to see to believe and to be able to appreciate the extent of it's brilliance.


I can't begin to imagine how many hours Lucy has spent on this project.  How rewarding to see it all come together to this though, such a brilliant achievement.  I asked Lucy what made her think of something like this, her answer was that she wanted to create an exhibition that would be like Pow, well I think she has definitely done that.



All in all a great start to our day out and a great exhibition.  Hat's off to you Lucy, it really was incredible.



~ Gem x

5 comments:

  1. Words escape me!!!! OH how I wish I could have gone to see this in person! Where is it going next!?!?!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe she has got a deal in Brighton for a month. It was incredible, I still can't quite get over it all x x x

      Delete
  2. I wish I'd known about the corner shop being so close to me yet I didn't find out until too late to pop along - it looks great.

    Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The detail of it all is amazing. It must of taken such a long time to make all that 'stock' hehe.

    Gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  4. BLIMEY!!!!!!! I can't believe my eyes. I kept thinking WHY has Gem taken so many photos of a corner shop and its products. Then I read the post.....OMG......incredible. I want to go,
    Hope you are well and thanks for thy lovely message on my blog Gem x x x x

    ReplyDelete